The FDA-approved formula that’s never been duplicated.
Adequan® Canine (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) is the only FDA-approved injectable, disease-modifying osteoarthritis drug (DMOAD) that inhibits cartilage loss in the dog’s joint, and may help to:
- Restore joint lubrication
- Relieve inflammation
- Renew the building blocks of healthy cartilage
*The specific mechanism of action of Adequan Canine in canine joints is not known.
Adequan® Canine is recommended for intramuscular injection for the control of signs associated with non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis of canine synovial joints.
Important Safety Information
Adequan® Canine should not be used in dogs who are hypersensitive to PSGAG or who have a known or suspected bleeding disorder. It should be used with caution in dogs with renal or hepatic impairment. Adverse reactions in clinical studies (transient pain at injection site, transient diarrhea, and abnormal bleeding) were mild and self-limiting. In post approval experience, death has been reported in some cases; vomiting, anorexia, depression/lethargy and diarrhea have also been reported. The safe use of PSGAG in breeding, pregnant or lactating dogs has not been evaluated. For additional safety information, please see.
Start with it:
- Use Adequan Canine early, at the first clinical signs of Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) before it progresses and cartilage is irreversibly damaged.
- Administer twice weekly for up to 4 weeks (maximum of 8 injections).
- Should see signs of improvement within a month.
Stay with it:
Continue to prescribe as needed to control signs of arthritis.
IM delivery provides fast relief and reliable protection.
- Within just 2 hours, Adequan Canine reaches all major synovial joints to help restore joint tissues that are damaged or inflamed — and lasts for approximately 3 days.
- The exact mechanism of action in dogs is not known.
A comprehensive plan can help slow the progression of canine arthritis.
- Talk to your veterinarian about a multi-modal plan that includes daily exercise, weight control and physical therapy.
Reasons to reach for Adequan® Canine first.
- rescribed for over 20 years to help control signs associated with non-infectious degenerative and/or traumatic arthritis of canine synovial joints.
- Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian.
- Efficacy demonstrated in two studies, radiolabeled and clinical field trials.